Thursday, April 14, 2005

TMI (too much information)?

Thanks everyone for the get well wishes! S' sweet :) Feeling better today, enough to go to work and to jewelry class...which is where I work on my pieces. I got into jewerly making in college (my cousin was an art/jewelry making major, I saw her working with all the paraphenalia and I was hooked!). I wasn't an art major so I didn't have the prereqs to take it at the U (boo!) but luckily one of the community colleges offered it as a noncredit course. When I came back home I found out that the Academy offered adult art courses, jewelry making being one of them. That was about 5 years ago, I've pretty much been taking the class every semester since then...and I have very little to show for it (I spend a lot of time being Chatty Cathy).

Here's a little ring I'm wanting to cast (I haven't cast a lot, just a few rings, nothing in gold yet!)--carved it out of wax, those little shapey things are supposed to be hearts but I think I'm going to try to make them a little nicer. I also need to sand the whole thing smoother.

3 Comments:

Blogger  said...

oh thats nice!
i could tell they are hearts right away.

4/15/2005 11:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you say "cast" does that mean you are going to heat up silver or gold till its liquid and pour it into a mold? That is way cool!

I have wanted to take those classes at the Academy for years, but I've never gotten around to doing it.

Sorry to be so niele, but where do you buy all your supplies?

4/15/2005 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

thanks guys, i think if i keep working at the hearts i'll make a big ol' hole in the ring (and it won't be heart shaped hehe).

yup, heat 'n pour, or rather heat and spin (the casting thing--real technical here--is a centrifugal caster) so you heat the metal in the center and when it's ready let the "arm" with the mold go (it's been prewound) and it spins and the metal is sucked into the mold...does that make sense?

for materials (wire, sheet, etc) the academy has a pretty good supply, for items they don't carry (equipment-wise) i go to schwartz (on bethel) and rio grande (catalogs/online stuff). don't even worry about being niele, that's what i am! i can email you more info if you like--they just came out with a summer catalog that finally offers some adult courses (summer's usually for kids).

4/15/2005 04:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home