Thursday, May 19, 2005

Silly rant

So the other day we decide to finally restock items we usually get from the health food store--things like vanilla*, granola, steel cut oats, etc. Usually the boy makes us oatmeal in the morning, prepared this way as seen on Good Eats but we ran out of steel cut oats a few weeks back. Anyhoo when we get to the health food store and head over to the bin food the boy notices that they've run out of steel cut oats. So we ask the stock clerk what's up. He said that morning the bin was full, after Oprah aired it was cleaned out! What the f man?! They were even out of stock of the prepackaged bin steel cut oats. The only things left were a few boxes and one tin. So we had to settle--I don't know why we think bin is better than boxed or tin...oh I just remembered, bin is cheaper!

My only hope is that those Oprah lovers who bought the oats will find it too time consuming to make. Then again, it doesn't sound as if they're pressed for time if they're watching Oprah during the middle of the day...CRAP!!! That Oprah really does have mind control over consumers--remember the beef thing?

I have to say though, those steel cut oats are pretty good, the way the boy cooks them gives them a nice nutty flavor. Yum! Plus they have a nice texture/bite to them...I find the rolled oatmeal to be too mushy now. And steel cut has more fiber than rolled oats. Go go Gadget fiber!!! End of steel cut plug :)

*Bah! The health food store was out of stock of the vanilla extract I wanted....what a disappointing health run.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What time do you all wake up in the morning?! That's an awful lot of cook time. I can barely stand the 90 seconds it takes to nuke my son's oatmeal.

Damn that Oprah! But isn't she fabulous? I can't wait to find out if I'm wearing the wrong bra tonight! :P

5/20/2005 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger krissy said...

i saw that oprah show! she and the doctor (her guest) talked about poop and she said she never thought she'd be talking about that on her show. she made me want steel cut oats too. i'll have to look next time i'm at the health food store. sorry my first comment on your blog was about poop. :(

7/05/2005 07:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home