Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The extent of my craftiness

Slackersville, population me. I haven't been doing much crafting before and since we've been back from our vacation--a month ago! The only time I get anything done is in class and that's only jewelry. I wanted to sign up for a printmaking class for the fall semester but the only one available during the evenings is a monoprint class. I thought the point of printmaking was to be able to reproduce a piece...I'm probably wrong but for me if I put any time into an image I'd like to get more than one print out of it. End of gripe.

Made these two little bags for birthday rings, took me a lot longer than I thought it would be eh, whatever. I used little pearls for the buttons cause I don't have any cute little buttons, the ghetto button holes I have no excuse for. As you can see I need to practice sewing but I was happy with them.

The ring on the left was cast from a sticky wax mold. When I first cast it I was horrified at how ugly it came out but after hammering it into a ring shape, sanding and polishing it it grew on me and now I like it. The ring on the left right was forged and has a ruby set in it. I'm still in the really really early stages of learning to set stones in that manner.

Then I got sick of setting those stones (I'd already done four, I kind of needed a breather) so I finished this ring. I was originally going to use the pearl as an earring (I have a sort of matching pink pearl) but decided it would be better in this ring. Guess that means that I can make another ring link this...or maybe something else.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I love that ring, I vote that you make another. Not that I really have a vote but I do like that ring:)

8/11/2005 05:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this. its perfect and beautiful. i vote you make me one!

8/11/2005 06:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ring is amazing! I love how you set it - so beautiful. And I the little ring bags are cuute!

8/11/2005 08:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the ring!!

8/11/2005 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

thanks so much for the words of encouragement! hey, maybe if i make another one i'll have a little game or something and the winner will get the ring. hehe, that might take a while, i'll keep everyone posted.

8/11/2005 05:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzy-Q...love all your rings. So proud to have such a talented friend. Miss you and can't wait to see you soon. Love, D

8/12/2005 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

your rings are GORGEOUS!!!

8/20/2005 07:43:00 AM  
Blogger valentina said...

Fabulous!

8/21/2005 03:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home