Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Haunted mango

Not a mango that's haunting someone but a ghost haunting a mango. I wonder if there's such a thing.

So across the street from our work parking lot is a really old church/cemetery (for Hawaii anyway, I'm guessing about late 1800's but I'm just guessing). The headstones and grave markers are laid pretty willy nilly and among the graves are a few large mango and plumeria trees. Whenever mangos are in season (they're ripening now) I drool over the fruit in the cemetery and my guy and I always laugh that if we ever picked the cemetery fruit we'd be haunted by ghosts. Plus how creepy is that? Eating fruit that could have possibly gotten its nutrients from dead people--okay, I know I'm a dingbat for thinking that there might be any nutrients left from, you know, the cemetery's residents--but just the thought...

Anyhoo the other day we couldn't believe it--a hobo bum guy was climbing a headstone to knock some mangos off the tree. Ohhhhhhhhhh....HAUNTED! I mean come on, I know the guy must be hungry but there are a lot of other places to get free mangos--like the side of the freeway for example. A few weeks ago we saw some crazies stopped on the freeway shoulder lane picking mangos from an overhanging tree! DANGER, DANGER! Saftey is obviously not a major concern of these people. But back to the hobo...I wonder if he got a stomach ache after he ate the mangos. I mean that's the least I would do if I haunted a mango someone happened to eat.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cemetary mango picking sounds creepy to me too. Bachi! The lengths that people will go just to score some free mangoes! And if you have a tree in your front yard it's like an open invitation for anyone to come help themself!

We have a huge mango tree in our backyard but it hasn't given us any fruit for 2 years now. Hmm, I wonder if we're supposed to be doing something to help it along?

8/11/2005 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger valentina said...

Oh please! It's a mango tree. That's all. I wouldn't want to pick the roadside mangos, cause they havea all the exhaust nutrients in them. Definitely would chose the cemetery mango over that.

8/21/2005 03:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home