Monday, August 15, 2005

Crazy coconuts

Felt like making something tonight...something I could decorate, nothing hard. Decided to zhuzz up a box of yellow cake mix. Was thinking at first of Watergate pistacio cupcakes but went with coconut cupcakes with seven minute frosting. I wasn't sure if I liked the cupcakes better with or without the shredded coconut topping but I decided to do all of them with the flakes since they kind of looked bald without the coconut.

Hehe, I don't think all the sugar dissolved in the frosting but I didn't figure this out until I finished icing all the cupcakes and dumped out the extra frosting in the sink. Ohh, gritty. Nice, adds texture. Hahaha.

I just followed the recipe on the box--3 eggs, 1/3 c. oil and instead of 1 1/4 c. of water I substituted 3/4 c of unsweetened coconut milk and 1/2 c water. And about 1 c of sweetened shredded coconut. Bake as directed. I think it can go a little bit more coconutty, use a little more milk and less water. Since this was a test I erred on the safe side, didn't want it to taste like tanning oil. Ew. We'll see if my co-workers eat it--the boy seemed to like it, he already ate two unfrosted. (I'm afraid that the frosting will be too overwhelming but too late now!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummy suzy!!! and your pictures are SO beautiful. love, d

8/18/2005 02:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So ono! I think they definately look better with the coconut on the top. Yum!

8/19/2005 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

those look delish! since i am getting coconut when i go grocery shopping later, i may have to get some more cake mixes!!

8/20/2005 07:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home