Wednesday, August 24, 2005

When the schnecken beckons...*

...I come a bakin'. I went on a cinnamon bun tear this past weekend making two different cinnamon bun recipes, both from Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess. The first was for Norwegian cinnamon buns (forgot to take snaps of them), the results leaning toward the dry side (dry as in not ooey and gooey) and not looking at all like the picture in the book. The cut sides of the buns didn't have the sharp, defined edges of the book's buns (hehe), my dough was very very loose and sticky, but the end bread product had a nice light texture (maybe it's not supposed to be light and fluffy but I liked it).

The book shows a picture of the Norwegian cinnamon buns but not the schneckens, I wonder if it's because seeing them all at once is a bit gross eh? Anyway, the schnecken is so deliciously gooey and UNdry thanks to the syrup that's produced when baking the buns. The presyrup is a mixture of A LOT of butter, sugar, maple syrup and corn syrup divided between 12 muffin tins. The cinnamon buns are placed, one in each muffin tin and baked--butter mixture melting, producing the syrup and overflowing onto the oven floor. Greeeeeeeeeat. Stinky burning butter. That's my own fault, I'm not so smart more often than not.
Anyhoo, I was very happy with the cinnamony, gooey result of the schnecken. I think it could have handled more kneading but I was impatient.

A fruit of my labor.

I'd write the recipes but I'm sure if it violates copyright, I live in fear of copyright violations--sort of.

*What movie was this from? It's an easy one--ah hahahahahahaha!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a baking Goddess! Yum! Did you have to let the dough rise first? I always stay away from anything that needs yeast or kneading because it never comes out. Of course I blame it on the humid Hawaiian weather, or the um high altitude?

BTW - what movie is that from? I'm feeling so out of the movie loop these days.

8/25/2005 09:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh... I am getting so hungry. I just saw someone else had made homemade oatmeal raisin bread and now your amazing rolls. Arrrgh!

8/25/2005 10:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yumyumyum...can we make some when i come home?
love, d

8/26/2005 09:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home